Monday, October 15, 2012

Chapter 18 - Life is Never Dull - Even the Dogs are Entertaining

10/11/12 CRAZY DAY –
Today we woke up and reviewed the things we had to do.  It appeared like it would be pretty laid back.  We taught two institute classes, than we went to a zone meeting with the mission president and the 5 zone leaders on the island.  We ran to the post office to pick up the mail, returned home to sort it, boxed up what had to be sent to mission headquarters and then it was off to the airport to send it.  One the way home we had to pick up some items for several of the missionary quarters.  With the creation of another zone we have two more sets of elders and needed to make sure their places were equipped.  We picked up a fridge from the PBO (church headquarters on the island), went to several other stores for irons, ironing boards, brooms, mops, electric pots for heating water, and 5 gallon water bottles for their water.  Then we headed back home to fill the water bottles (we have a water filter).  I think we grabbed a sandwich – but I am not sure – before we started delivering the items.  We didn’t have anything else on our agenda after the items were delivered so we thought we would have most of the afternoon to work on the institute lessons for the next day.  As we were leaving to make the deliveries, we got a call that one of the elders was sick and needed a prescription.  Because he did not have a car we detoured to the other side of the island to the only pharmacy on the island to pick it up.  On the way back we got a phone call from the elders on the opposite of the island.  Their van had quit running and they wanted to know what to do.  Dennis made a phone call and arranged to have the van towed, called the elders and told them that after the van was picked up to take the bus to wherever they had to go.  We delivered the prescription and then proceeded to finish the deliveries.  But, another set of elders called and needed a ride to do a baptism interview.  We picked them up and part way there they said they didn’t have the paperwork so we detoured to their house, picked up the papers, got almost to the house where they had to conduct the interview and they informed us that the zone leaders needed to be at the interview as well – it was the zone leaders with car problems – so we called to see where they were, then headed back down the hill to the original location where we had picked up the first set of elders to pick up the zone leaders. We got them to their interview and waited while they conducted the interview.  By now it was almost time for dinner (called a fafanga) and because they didn’t have a car they needed a ride to where they were scheduled to eat.  We dropped off the zone leaders, and asked directions from the other elders to where we should drop them off.  They couldn’t remember exactly where the house was, so we drove around for 30 minutes trying to find it.  Finally they called the family to ask directions.  By the time we dropped them off two hours had gone by.  We still hadn’t finished what we set out to do – deliveries…  We decided that because it was getting late we would make the delivery to the sisters, and finish the rest the next day. We made the delivery and thought we were headed home.  On the way out of the village where the sisters live we saw two more elders walking down the street looking rather dejected. We pulled over to see if we could help.  They told us they had been walking down the road to give a discussion and four dogs came running after them.  In an attempt to protect themselves, one of the elders swung his lanyard, with their house key on it, at the dog.  When the key hit the dog it flew off the lanyard and into the bushes – now remember how dense the foliage is here…  They had been looking for it for over an hour and finally decided to walk up to our house to see if we had an extra key.  That is when we met them…  We didn’t have a key, but they got ahold of the bishop who owns the house where they live and he said he wasn’t sure he had a key, but he thought he could get them in.  So, we took another detour to their house.  By the time we got home it was past 9:00 – too late to fix dinner, so we settled for Cheerios and fresh bananas, eaten while we tried to prepare the institute lesson for the next day.  When we started out we had only planned to deliver the prescription, make three deliveries and take two elders to their baptismal interview!
It sounds crazy – but in all reality, that is how most of our days are - and we wouldn’t trade it for anything!

I said before that there are lots of dogs on the island.  But the ones in Pago Pago are really smart! When they want to cross the street the go to a crosswalk and wait for the cars to stop.  Then they proceed across the street.  It is really crazy – but true.  We have seen in several times.  We never cease to be amused…

No comments:

Post a Comment